Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Barbara posted this recipe at FibroTalk. Barbara said, "Even if you HATE zucchini (which my kids do) try this -- you can't really taste that it's zucchini in there."
- 1 lb ground round (increase to 2 lb if you like it meaty) or 1 lb ground turkey (increase to 2 lb if you like it meaty)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon basil (or to taste)
- 6 -8 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise (these are your "noodles")
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat two cookie sheets with oil spray or parchment paper.
- Lay the zucchini slices on the cookie sheets. Roast for about 15 minutes or until just slightly soft.
- Keep oven on and turn up to 400 degrees.
- While the zucchini is roasting, brown ground beef or ground turkey in a non-stick skillet.
- Add onion to the skillet when meat is almost done.
- Drain off grease.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the spaghetti sauce, the spices, and the mushrooms to the skillet. Warm through.
- Coat a 9 X 13 pan with oil spray. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 1/3 of the zucchini, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese, 1/3 of the meat sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers twice, being sure to end with mozzarella on top. If you want, sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on the layers and on top.
- Bake in 400 degree oven about 45 minutes, until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
I liked this. Since trying to really cut the calories left out the ricotta & parmesan cheeses. In same pan to save time & clean up I put the lasana noodles on one side for hubby & zucchini for me. Figured he'd get a little vegs. by it being in the same pan. Great way to eat together yet not the same meal.
This was very good and different from the normal lasagna. I reduced the recipe because it was just me and my daughter. On my last layer I put the zucchini a sprinkle of mozzerella and then sprinkled on some more of the herbs/spice mixture. It was very good and I think my DH would really like to try it when he gets back from being out of town. Thank you so much! Made for Fall PAC 2008
So Good! My family LOVED this! YUMMY!