Barbara's Cardamom Cookies
photo by Hey Jude
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 1/3 cup pecans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk, to thin drizzling glaze
- Cream 1 cup butter and the granulated and brown sugars until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and 1 teaspoon vanilla, mix well.
- Stir in the flour, cardamom and salt.
- Spread in an ungreased 10 x 15" baking pan.
- Beat the egg white until bubbly but not forming peaks.
- Brush the dough with the egg white and sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
- Bake at 275°F for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, melt the 1 1/2 Tablespoon butter until it browns slightly, remove from heat.
- Beat in 1 cup confectioner's sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add enough milk to make a"drizzling" consistency.
- Drizzle on baked dough.
- Cut into bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Turned out excellent, and delicious! The dough was a little crumbly to "spread" in the jelly roll pan. I thought perhaps I did something wrong, and it made it difficult to brush egg white on it as well. I simply pressed the crumbs down and made the best of it. But I was surprised that it came out just fine. Next time, I will make balls and press them into cookies. Thanks!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've been a member since 2001.