Cardamom Sugar Cookies
Great taste of cardamom. Source : Sugar at Food Network
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Beat butter and sugar together by hand or in a mixer, until pale and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cardamom and salt. Stir into butter mixture until just combined. Gather dough together, shape into 2 discs, wrap and chill until firm, about 1 to 2 hours, or freeze until ready to use (then thaw overnight in fridge).
- Preheat oven to 325°F On a lightly floured work surface, roll out first disc of dough to just less than ¼-inch thick. Cut out desired shapes and lift with a spatula onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll second disc, saving all scraps to re-roll for more cut-outs. If you choose, add sprinkles or other decorations onto cookies before baking. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Let cool before removing from tray.
- Cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Glaze :.
- For glaze, combine icing sugar and milk and whisk until smooth. Brush cookies with glaze and allow to dry on cooling rack for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Reviewed for Recipe Swap August 2011 in the Aus/NZ FOrum. These were an easy cookie to make and received 5 stars from all of my wheat eating family. We cut ours using a butterfly cutter and they did look very pretty glazed. The cardamom and nutmeg smelt wonderful while the cookies were baking. I added the nutmeg with the cardamom as it was left out from the directions. Photos also being posted