Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted for the ZWT III (Caribbean Category). The addition of yams or sweet potatoes makes this fish cake unusual. This recipe comes from a cookbook titled, "Jim Walker's Cooking in Barbados".
- Poach the fish in water with the onion, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes.
- Peel the yams and chop roughly and cook 20 minutes in boiling water until tender.
- Drain yams and mash until smooth.
- Add milk to the mashed yams.
- Flake the fish and discard the skin.
- Add fish to the yams.
- Add beaten egg and parsley, mixing well.
- Divide mixture into 12 portions and form into fish cakes.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl and coat cakes in flour.
- Fry in hot oil, turning cakes to brown both sides.
- Cook until browned and crisp.