Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very naughty dessert or breakfast/brunch dish - but it is nice to have a treat now and then, so why not! Glossy caramelised toffee bananas served sandwiched between light, fluffy pancakes and then topped with more bananas and ginger syrup with whipped cream............how decadent is that! I used this ginger syrup last time I made these, Ginger Spice Syrup by Sharon 123, it was excellent!
- 100 g plain flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 100 ml buttermilk or 100 ml skim milk
- 30 ml milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- butter (for frying) or sunflower oil (for frying)
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced on an angle
- 50 g brown sugar
- 14.79-29.58 ml ginger syrup
- 50 g butter
- whipped cream, to serve
- Pancakes: Sift the plain flour and baking powder together in a large bowl, and make a well in the centre. Pour in the eggs and buttermilk, then gradually whisk in the flour mixture, until you have a perfectly smooth batter. Add the milk if the batter seems a little thick.
- Heat the butter or oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 4 large spoonfuls of the pancake batter, spaced apart, to make 9cm round pancakes. Cook for 2 minutes, until golden underneath, then flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes, until cooked through. Remove, keep warm in a low oven and repeat with the remaining batter - makes about 8 pancakes in total.
- Banoffee Bananas: Heat the sugar and ginger syrup in a pan, until it forms a caramel or sticky thick sauce.
- Add the banana slices to the pan, shaking to coat well.
- Add the butter to the pan and heat for another 1-2 minutes.
- To Assemble: Take one pancake and top with some of the banoffee banana and ginger syrup mixture - place another pancake on top and add another spoon of the banana mixture; Add the whipped cream and drizzle any remaining ginger and toffee syrup over and around the pancake sandwich stack. (Drizzle some more ginger syrup over if there is not enough!).
- Serve immediately whilst still warm.
Incredible French Tart! simply incredible. These pancakes were light, tender, fluffy and tasty. A perfect foil for the decadent Banoffee Bananas. The bananas are out of this world. They melt into the toffeesauce creating unbelievable flavor. So, so worth the extra effort. I loved these and will make them again and again. I took your advice and used Sharon's Ginger Spice Syrup. What a perfect syrup for this magnificent treat. Thanks so much for sharing.