- 2 1⁄2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled and crushed
- 1 3⁄4 cups ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- In an 8-quart pan, combine the strawberries, bananas, lemon juice, sugar and butter.
- Over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, heat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in the entire contents of the pectin pouch.
- Return the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Skim off any foam.
- To prevent the jam from separating in the jars, allow the jam to cool 5 minutes before filling the jars. Gently stir the jam every minute or so to distribute the fruit.
- Ladle the hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth.
- Cover with hot lids and apply screw rings.
- Process half pint jars in 200°F (93°C) water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.