Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Oh Heavens Above!!! Banana topping with ice-cream!! Soooo Sinful!! Soooo Yummy!! NOTE: This topping is best served warm. Do not prepare it more than two hours in advance or the bananas may turn the sauce a dark brown.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 small bananas (approx 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur (optional) or 2 tablespoons syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter in a large,heavy saute' pan.
- Peel and slice the bananas into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook the bananas in the hot butter, stirring until the fruit begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook until the sugar dissolves and begins to caramelize, about 2 minutes.
- Add the banana liqueur and vanilla.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- VARIATIONS: BANANA WALNUT TOPPING: Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts at the last moment before serving.
- BANANA MARSHMALLOW TOPPING: Add 1/2 cup mini-marshmallows along with the vanilla, and stir until the marshmallows are melted completely.
- Serve immediately.
- BANANA RUM RAISIN TOPPING: Pour 2 tablespoon dark rum over 1/4 cup raisins and set aside for 1 hour before preparing the sauce.
- Omit the banana liqueur.
- Add the raisins and rum along with the vanilla.
- Heat thoroughly and serve immediately.
- BANANA ALMOND TOPPING: Substitute amaretto liqueur or almond syrup for the banana liqueur.
- Proceed with the recipe as directed, adding 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds at the last moment before serving.
I tried this last night with the banana rum raisin topping. Simply wonderful!!! Thank you for a great recipe!