Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of those special desserts that impresses family and guests. It's really delicious. Time listed does not include chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup banana, mashed (about 1)
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 4 pecan halves, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Continue cooking until golden (about 4 minutes).
- Immediately pour into 4 (6 ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray, tilting each cup quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of cup.
- Set aside Combine banana and next 6 ingredients (banana through milk), stirring well with a whisk.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared custard cups.
- Place cups in a 9" square baking pan, and add hot water to pan to a depth of 1".
- Bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cups from pan.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Loosen the edges of custards with a knife or rubber spatula.
- Place a dessert plate, upside down, on top of each cup, and invert onto plates.
- Drizzle any of the remaining caramelized syrup over the custards.
- Top with toasted pecans, if desired.