Recipe by Neelakumari
I cooked this dish for my family, it came out well. *Sear the fish, make the sauce with bell peppers and fold it in a banana /plantain leaf and steam it. When i'm out of banana leaves i'll leave out the steaming process, i'll just pour the sauce over the seared fish and serve it, my husband preferred this. In this recipe i used indian mackerel / ayila meen. *Sear - brown the fish in a very hot tawa / pan.
- 3 medium sized fish fillets or 3 medium indian mackerel
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow "or" orange)
- 1⁄2 small green unripe mango
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 banana leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Bell pepper is also called sweet pepper or capsicum.
- Clean the fish, combine all the powders with the lemon juice and apply it to the fish and let it marinate in the refrigerator till the sauce is made.
- For the sauce slice the bell pepper, peel and cut the mango and the onions.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the bell pepper, onion and mango till it becomes tender, add the 1/2 tsp chilli powder and salt. Grind the vegetables coarsely and keep it aside.
- Heat a non stick pan on high for few mins (if we sprinkle a drop of water in the pan it should jump and evaporate immediately),.
- Add oil to the pan and slide the marinated fish, cook till the pan side of the fish gets crusted and it comes off easily from the pan.
- Flip the fish and cook it. Remove from the pan and cook all the remaining fish.
- If you're a fan of nice seared fish in a creamy sauce, don't proceed to the next step. Place the fish on a serving plate and spoon the sauce over it and serve.
- Coat the banana leaf with oil, spoon 1 tsp of bell pepper sauce on the middle of the leaf, place a fish on the sauce, spoon two more spoons of sauce over the fish.
- Wrap the leaf and tie it with a string. Continue with the remaining fish. Steam it in a pan or cooker for 10 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and serve it with white rice.