Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Cooking Light, Oct. 1999. This healthful bread is full of goodness, and it tastes delicious, too! Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator or freezer.
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed
- 2⁄3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole pitted dates, chopped
- cooking spray
- Place 1/2 cup flax seeds in a blender, and process until ground to measure 3/4 cup flaxseed meal.
- Set flax seed meal aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat the banana, sugar, oil, and eggs at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flour, flaxseed meal, 1/4 cup flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until well-blended.
- Stir in chopped dates.
- Spoon the batter into an 8x4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake bread at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
I have always thought that bananas go really well with flax seed meal & I love dates, so I was excited to try this recipe. Like klk, I also added chopped walnuts to the batter & I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. Other than that, I made the recipe as written. I liked the bread and it's texture, but DH said it was a bit dense. It is moist & packed full of good for you stuff! I think next time I'll add a little cinnamon. Thank you!
I left out the whole flaxseeds and dates and added chopped walnuts (wanted to see what the base bread was like + the ground flaxseeds). I also used brown sugar instead of white, and walnut oil as the vegetable oil. This was a delicious banana bread, and I'll be making it again with the flaxseeds and dates. Lovely.