Recipe by Lee_tah
This satisfies my banana cream pie craving, but in smaller portions...not the whole pie! It is based on Dejah's Banana Cream Pie. Can also be gluten free if you use gluten free cookies/biscuits. I like to use gingernut because they are full of toasted coconut. The quantity is only a guide; use as many bananas, crumbs and cream as you like.
Vanilla Pudding or Custard
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 banana, peeled and sliced
- 0.5 (125 g) packet gingernut biscuits (any kind of cookie or biscuit you prefer)
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush up cookies and place a layer in the bottom of the parfait glasses. Reserve some for the top.
- Then layer banana slices.
- Top with cooled pudding/custard mix.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle over cookie crumbs.
- Repeat layer if using a big glass.
- Pudding/Custard: Mix together cornstarch and sugar in a microwavable bowl. Add milk and whisk to make sure it is mixed well.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes or until thickened slightly. (Be sure to whisk EVERY 3 MINUTES so that no lumps form).
- In another bowl put egg yolks. Whisk to break up. Whisk in about a 1/2 cup of the hot milk mix to the egg yolks. Then pour egg yolk mix back into the milk mix, whisking again.
- Microwave on MEDIUM for 3 minutes, stirring every minute or until bubbly.
- Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover the surface with plastic wrap (to prevent a skin from forming).
- Chill well before assembling parfaits.
- If the pudding tastes too sweet, add a litte unsweetened whipped cream to it after it has cooled.