This cake is perfect for beginners—it's moist, forgiving, and easy. Creamy peanut butter is the best for the decadent frosting. I should mention that this is cake is also excellent with a fudgey chocolate frosting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed very ripe bananas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini chocolate chips
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F Coat cake pans with nonstick spray. Line bottom of pans with parchment; coat paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions and occasionally scraping down sides and bottom of bowl. Beat in vanilla.
- 3Add dry ingredients; beat on low speed just to blend. Add bananas and sour cream; beat just to blend. Fold in mini chips. Divide batter evenly among pans; smooth tops.
- 4Bake cakes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks; peel off parchment and let cool completely.
- 6Using an electric mixer, beat first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl until a light and fluffy frosting forms, 2–3 minutes.
- 7Place 1 cake on a platter. Spread 1 1/4 cups frosting over. Place remaining cake on top. Cover top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish with chocolate chips and kisses.
- 8DO AHEAD:.
- 9Cake can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana-Chocolate Chip Cake With Peanut Butter Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.9
- Calories from Fat 437
- Total Fat 48.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 556.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 52.0 g
- Protein 13.1 g