Vegan Banana-Chocolate Chip Cake
This is my favorite vegan dessert recipe. I got it from "American Vegetarian Cookbook" by Marilyn Diamond. Sometimes I throw health concerns out the window and use corn syrup instead of honey. Live dangerously, right?
- Ready In:
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup or 2/3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon soy lecithin (optional)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the over to 350. Cream together the syrup, oil, and egg replacer. Add lecithin and bananas.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add carob or chocolate chips, then fold dry ingredients into creamed mixture, stirring just to moisten and combine. Don't overmix.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 8-inch cake or Bundt pan. Bake approximately 40 minutes, or until cake tests done with a wooden toothpick. Cool on wire rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this for a Labour Day BBQ and the only one who turned up their nose was a little boy who I think was tired and hated bananas. This cake is dense, and doesn't really need the chocolate ganache I added on top, but my word, it was tasty. My husband was begging me to make it again, since I don't generally repeat recipes. Then again he has a weakness for chocolate and bananas.1Reply