Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 17 mins
A yummy dessert. Recipe is from Woman's Day. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- walnuts, chopped, garnish
- Heat oven to 425 degrees; you'll need a baking sheet.
- Sauce: Stir sugar and water in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes, without stirring, scraping down sides of pan if mixture starts to crystallize around edges, or until mixture is caramel-colored.
- Whisk in butter until melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cream (mixture will bubble vigorously).
- Scrape into a medium bowl; cover loosely and refrigerate until cool.
- Shortcakes: Whisk flour, walnuts, 2 T sugar, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until blended.
- Add cream; stir with a fork until mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Transfer dough to work surface and form into 6-inch long log.
- Cut into 6 rounds.
- Place rounds on ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining sugar.
- Bake 14-17 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve: Slice bananas and stir into caramel sauce.
- Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Halve shortcakes with a serrated knife.
- Place bottoms on dessert plates.
- Top each bottom with scant 1/4 cup banana-caramel mixture, then about 3 T whipped cream.
- Top with biscuit tops, 2 T banana-caramel mixture and 1 T whipped cream.
- To plan ahead: Bake shortcakes no more than 8 hours before serving.
- When they're cool, store tightly covered at room temperature.
- Make the caramel sauce up to a week ahead and store in the refrigerator.
- Of course, if time's really short, you can substitute bottled caramel sauce for the homemade.