Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This was a huge hit, even with non-bread-pudding fans. It's almost french-toast-like in flavor and very firm.
- 1 loaf stale whole wheat bread
- 1 quart milk (1%)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Cut bread into 1" cubes. Put bread and milk in bowl and set in fridge for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to make sure all bread gets soaked.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray/oil 9x13 glass baking dish.
- In separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla, almond flavoring, and cinnamon until frothy.
- Remove bread from fridge. Sprinkle with salt and stir. Add egg mixture and stir until well blended.
- Fold in bananas, stirring gently until banana is evenly distributed.
- Pout into baking dish and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until golden brown and mostly firm (should barely jiggle when moved).
- Cool and serve.
Made this with a 1-pound loaf of nutty, whole grain bread & added a cup of dark raisins, but other than that, the recipe was followed, & we had ourselves a very nice bread pudding! Will make this one again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]