Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A healthier muffin that's still tender and tasty! This is a great way to use up those brown bananas you're about to throw away. Best served warm :)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine mashed bananas, sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract and eggs in the bowl of a mixer. Stir to combine.
- In another large bowl, combine the flours, oat bran, baking powder and soda, salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two batches and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix or your muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins to 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. I recommend rotating the tin halfway through baking for even cooking.