Recipe by Chef TJ #13
A modified version of "Frosted Banana Bars" from the Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Betty Crocker Cookbook"....
Top Review by Lalaloula
This recipe is very, very good! The bars were easy and quick to put together and turned out kinda fudgy and sweet. Mmmm, yummy! :) The centres were almost custard like and the crust nicely browned. The bananas gave the cake a sweet and fruity aroma that everyone enjoyed. The vanilla flavour went great with the bananas.
I used no sugar at all in this recipe as my bananas were very ripe and that woked out nicely. I also subbed part applesauce for the margarine and yogurt for the sour cream as thats what I had on hand.
I had to bake my bars about 15 minutes longer than stated, but that might have been due to my changes.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a real keeper with us, Chef TJ #13!
Made and reviewed for I Recommend Tag July 2011.
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375'.
- Spray square pan, 9x9x2 with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat sugar, sour cream, margarine & egg whites in large bowl on low speed (about 1 min).
- Beat in bananas and vanilla on low speed (30 sec).
- Beat in flour, salt & baking soda on medium speed (1 min), spread in pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light brown.