Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
This is a delicious dessert served with butterscotch sauce. You will need 2 ripe bananas. Recipe courtesy of Delicious magazine.
- 100 g hazelnuts
- 20 g butter, softened
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 60 g butter, softened, extra
- butter, for greasing
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- double cream or ice cream, to serve
- butterscotch sundae sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 100 g butter, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C Spread the hazelnuts over an oven tray. Roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Place hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Coarsely chop.
- Line the base of a 20cm round (base measurement) springform pan with baking paper. Rub the butter over the base and side of the pan. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Place dates and bicarbonate of soda in a heatproof bowl. Pour over the boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to soak. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Add the banana, sugar, extra butter and flour and process until almost smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce, combine the sugar, cream and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is well combined and heated through.
- Pour half the sauce over the pudding. Cut into wedges, drizzle with remaining sauce. Serve immediately with cream or ice-cream, if desired.