Recipe by Maura666
I've always loved okra, and was so pleased to come across an interesting way to cook it! The recipe calls for whole okra pods, but I like to "smash" mine a little bit before cooking them, so they'll break down a little more. This is great as a hot veggie dish, or it can be served chilled as an appetizer, with bread or crackers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs fresh okra
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion in olive oil until it begins to get soft (5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, okra, tomatoes, lemon juice, tomato sauce, salt,& pepper.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add a bit of water.