Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I've always loved okra, and was so pleased to come across an interesting way to cook it! The recipe calls for whole okra pods, but I like to "smash" mine a little bit before cooking them, so they'll break down a little more. This is great as a hot veggie dish, or it can be served chilled as an appetizer, with bread or crackers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs fresh okra
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 dash salt
- Saute the onion in olive oil until it begins to get soft (5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, okra, tomatoes, lemon juice, tomato sauce, salt,& pepper.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add a bit of water.
This will not convert a diehard okra hater, but it is not bad. I made it and tried it cold with crackers. Interesting flavor. It's the sliminess that usually does me in..