Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
More cold weather food from Germany. It'll warm you right up.
- 1 lb cabbage (small head)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions (Chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork (Cubed)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 slices bacon (Thick Sliced)
- Remove outer, wilted cabbage leaves and core.
- Place cabbage in a large pot of boiling water and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove and drain.
- gently pull off 12 leaves and set aside.
- Finely chop the rest of the cabbage.
- Heat 1 T vegetable oil; add onions, pork, and ground beef.
- Cook until lightly browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the chopped cabbage, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in the white wine.
- Cover and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Grease an ovenproof dish with 1 t of vegetable oil;.
- line the dish with half the cabbage leaves.
- Spoon in the meat mixture, cover with the rest of the cabbage leaves.
- Cut bacon strips in half and arrange on top.
- Place in preheated 350 degree F. oven; bake for approximately 45 minutes.