Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
My neighbor brought this over one evening for my husband and I to sample. We just happened to be entertaining some guests, and hadn't planned a dessert. When the meal ended, I brought out the two portions and divided it carefully amongst the group. We practically licked our bowls clean, this was so wonderful. He had pulled the recipe from epicurious. Makes a beautiful presentation, very simple, very good. just be certain to use a good-quality balsamic.
- Combine vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar, and lemon juice in heavy small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Boil until syrup is reduced to scant 1/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to small bowl; cool completely.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Combine mascarpone, cream, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl.
- Whisk until thick soft peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Combine berries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in large bowl; drizzle with balsamic syrup and toss to blend.
- Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide berries and syrup among 6 goblets.
- Top with mascarpone mixture.
This was so delicious. Make when strawberries are in season and you're in for a heavenly treat! Use a good quality balsamic vinegar such as: 1) LUCINI GRAN RISERVA BALSAMICO, 2) MONARI FEDERZONI BALSAMIC VINEGAR OF MODENA or 3) ORTALLI BALSAMIC VINEGAR OF MODENA.
I love fresh whipped cream and I love mascarpone cheese, together it's double the pleasure for my taste buds! I actually made this dessert low-carb. I had some balsamic reduction on hand, so I used that instead, without adding lemon juice or sugar. I whipped the cream and cheese with a packet of Splenda instead of sugar. This recipe is going into my permanent file as an easy, delicious and low-carb dessert! Thank you for posting this recipe!
I made this for a Valentine's dessert and we'll be having it regularly! I reduced the Balsamic glaze longer, probably 4 to 5 minutes. I quartered the berries because hubby doesn't like big pieces of fruit. I spread the Mascarpone/Whipped Cream mixture onto Angel Food cake and then put the strawberries with the Balsamic glaze over that. I topped everything with whipped cream which was probably overkill but still was yummy since this dessert isn't overly sweet. We both thought this was one of the best desserts ever. Thanks for sharing it!