Recipe by Mille®
A buttery mixture, flavoured with ground almonds and baked in a light flaky pastry case, is the basis of this traditional Derbyshire recipe, sometimes known as Bakewell tart, the origin of which is secret to this day.
Top Review by loof
This dessert was really good! I used strawberry preserves and baked it a little longer than specified to make sure the filling was set. We ate it warm from the oven and really enjoyed! Made in honor of Chef CoolMonday 11/07.
- 8 ounces puff pastry
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam or 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1⁄4 lb ground almonds
- 1⁄4 lb caster sugar
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 900 ml (30 fluid ounces) shallow pie dish.
- Knock up the edge of the pastry with the back of a knife.
- Mark the rim with the prongs of a fork.
- Brush the jam over the base; chill in the refrigerator while making the filling.
- Beat the almonds with the sugar, butter, eggs and almond extract.
- Pour the filling over the jam and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Serve warm or cold with fresh cream or custard.