Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This is served in many Italian households in R.I. Chef's in R.I. consider Graziano Sausages to be the best in the state. They are online @ Grazianosausage.com
- 1 lb pasta (mostaccioli recommended)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In stockpot, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until it just begins to soften; do not cook completely. It will finish cooking when it bakes in the oven. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil; Add sausages. If desired, the sausage casings can be removed, but is not required.
- Cook the sausages until they are evenly browned.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and slice them thinly.
- Add garlic to pan and cook over medium heat just until the garlic begins to become golden brown in color.
- Add tomato sauce to the pan, as well as the sliced sausage, mushrooms, wine and fresh herbs; mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 13X9-inch greased baking dish, alternate layers of the half-cooked pasta, the tomato sauce-sausage mixture, and ricotta cheese until all the ingredients are used.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.