Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great recipe fo serve a bunch. If you have meatballs and tomato sauce Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce waiting for you in the freezer;it is fast to prepare.
- 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta, substitute penne pasta
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon . fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 12 lean meatballs, thawed and sliced
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In saucepot, prepare pasta as label directs in boiling salted water, drain. Return pasta to saucepot.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, heat tomato sauce, covered, until hot over medium-low heat. (If tomato sauce is frozen, add 2 tablespoons water to saucepan to prevent sorching). Add 3 cups sauce to pasta in saucepot, toss well. Reserve remaining 1 cup sauce.
- In medium bowl, stir together egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Into 3 1/2- to 4-quart shallow casserole or 13-inch by 9-inch glass baking dish, spoon half the pasta mixture, top with all the sliced meatballs. Drop ricotta-cheese mixture by spoonfuls evenly over meatball layer. Spoon remaining pasta mixture over ricotta-cheese layer, then spoon remaining 1 cup sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 60 minutes or until very hot and cheese browns slightly.
Taste is great but at 400º it was starting to get too brown after about 20 min, so am guessing the temp would be ok at 325º for around 25 min since the ingredients mostly are already cooked before baking.
A winner !!! this one I will make again.