Recipe by Latchy
This is a recipe I made by accident. I usually do a leg of lamb this way but I had a male friend do the shopping and he bought veal instead. It's all meat was his answer and I think it is better with veal than lamb. This is something my mum taught me. Good served with Polenta Toasties With Mushroom Sauce and sliced green beans.
- 1200 g boned legs of veal or 1200 g boneless veal rump roast
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry marsala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 50 ml dry white wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon arrowroot, if needed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make several incisions in meat& stuff with a little garlic and rosemary and tie meat into nice shape with string.
- Heat a heavy based casserole over medium heat (the meat should be a snug fit); add the oil and butter.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the remaining garlic and rosemary and allow the garlic to colour slightly then add the marsala.
- Cook for 2 minutes turning the meat in the liquid then grind over black pepper and salt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the wine.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven 180 degrees cent for 1 hour basting and turning every 20 minutes, adding more liquid if the level drops to less than 2 tablespoons.
- Remove meat from dish and let stand 10 minutes covered with foil.
- Scoop off any fat in liquid mix arrowroot with little water tip into dish and bring to boil.
- Remove string from meat and carve into thin slices.
- Spoon over marsala glaze and serve.
- Good served with polenta toasties with creamy mushroom sauce and sliced green beans.