Prep 20 mins
Cook 47 mins
This recipe is from the "Horn of the Moon" cookbook. Their recipes are excellent. The Tofu-Tahini sauce adds protein and delicious flavor to a simple meal
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut in half, seeds scooped out
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package firm tofu or 1 (8 ounce) package medium firm tofu, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup tahini
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Bake squash cut side down, 400F degrees oven for 45 minutes.
- While squash is baking, In a skillet heat oil, saute onions, ginger, garlic, dill weed& basil.
- Cook over medium heat until they begin to brown.
- Add chopped Pepper, continue to cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the tofu in a saucepan, add tahini and mix well.
- Slowly add the water and cook over low heat, stirring with a whisk until sauce is thoroughly combined.
- Add flour to the sauted veggies.
- Combine veggies and the tahini-tofu sauce.
- Continue to simmer on very low heat Add tamari and pepper (add more water if the sauce gets too thick).
- Mix in parsley and serve over squash.
This was very good, but I added more like 1/4 cup tamari as it wasn't salty enough in the end. I enjoyed the squash/tahini/tofu combo very much.
I feel a bit mean giving this 4 stars and not 5. The sauce on its own is fabulous, and we love butternut squash. However, Mr B and I both felt that the individual flavours of tahini and butternut competed a bit more than they complemented. For us the sauce would have worked better served with something with a less distinctive flavour. Obviously this is just our personal preference, especially given the previous review (but then we didn't find this too salty!), but on balance we rate this a very good 4 stars.