Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are crispy, completely delicious and totally fat-free. In fact, we'll bet you like them more than the deep-fried fast-food variety.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake until potatoes are barely tender, about 15 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil; broil until crispy, about 10 minutes. Serve at once.
I must admit, I was a bit disappointed by these. First of all, I made them exactly as the recipe called for (except I used garlic salt instead of table salt). The fries were good and coated when i put them in the oven, but when I took them out almost all the coating was baked to the bottom of the pan and the potatoes were bare. I also found the fries to be rather bland, probably because most of the seasoned coating didn't adhere, and found myself having to re-season them before serving them. I will probably try these again in the future, but maybe i'll toss them in the egg and then sprinkle the dry ingredients over the top, and I'll definitely double the called-for amount of spices.
Great flavor and great crispiness! I think I screwed up, though, because my potatoes were pretty thin so they got very stuck and clumpy on the pan. It didn't say in the recipe how thick to cut the potatoes so I guessed and I guessed wrong. So, if you are going to make it, you should because it is quite delicious and healthy but cut the potatoes more like steak fries.
Very good. I loved how they browned so nicely, and had a little bite from the spices. I would double the salt next time, because we like them saltier. I covered my baking sheet with foil which I sprayed with non-stick spray, and had a nice quick clean-up. Thanks!