Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Fatfree.com, posted by Jayne Spielman who credits this recipe to a 1998 NY Times article which adapted it from "Uncommon Fruits and Vegetables" by Elizabeth Schneider. Is that credit or what? Unusual but tasty and no fat.
- 4 medium yellowish brown plantains
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Trim ends from plantains and cut a slit lengthwise along the plantain.
- Arrange with slit side up and bake on a pan or cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes or until they are creamy and soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool until you can remove the peels.
- Slice into 1/2-inch rounds (or do on diagonal for something a little more interesting) and put in a pie pan or something you can put back in the oven.
- Sprinkle with lime juice, chili powder, and salt and mix gently.
- Put back into oven to warm up and help some of the flavors meld.