Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A lovely side served with meat or poultry. From the Western Cookbook chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Best made with seedless oranges.
- Wash oranges well.
- Place in a large saucepan and cover with water; boil for 30 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a baking dish.
- When cool enough to handle, cut off a small slice at blossom end and remove the core and seeds (if any).
- Put 1 tablespoons of sugar and one teaspoon of butter in the center of each.
- Place filled oranges in buttered dish and carefully fill dish to 2/3 full with water.
- Bake for 2 hours.