Recipe by Sharon123
A quick and easy, kid friendly recipe from Cooking Light magazine-August 2011.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
These are awesome! The panko doesn't brown much, but that didn't stop four toddlers and two adults from scarfing down a triple batch! I only cut the mozza sticks in half for a more "cheese stick" look. I agree with the previous review that they do want some more spice; I added a boatload of garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Also, I chilled them after putting on the breading for several hours, as I have read that helps the sticks keep their shape while baking. Worked for me! Thanks, Sharon. What a treat!
- 1⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 pieces part skim mozzarella string cheese ((1 ounce pieces cut from stick)
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute (or 1 egg white, beaten)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup panko to pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and place the panko in a shallow dish.
- Cut mozzarella sticks into 1-inch pieces. Working with one piece at a time, dip cheese in egg substitute; dredge in panko. Place cheese on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 3 minutes or until the cheese is softened and thoroughly heated.
- Pour the marinara sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring after 30 seconds(or heat briefly in a small saucepan). Serve with mozzarella pieces.