Recipe by Karen=^..^=
Boy, does this bring back memories! When I was in high school, they served this every Friday in the cafeteria. I guess they had to make sure we had our vegetables :) It sounds gross, but I couldn't wait until Fridays, the macaroni and tomatoes were so good together. To this day, almost 20 years later, whenever I have baked macaroni & cheese, I crave stewed tomatoes. With this recipe, I don't have to.
- 1 (1 lb) box shell macaroni or 1 (1 lb) box elbow macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 12 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided usage
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain, rinse and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat the 3 cups of milk, butter, salt and pepper until hot but not boiling.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine 1/4 cup of milk with the cornstarch and stir until dissolved.
- Slowly add this to the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- When mixture has thickened, remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of the cheese until melted.
- Pour pasta into a large mixing bowl and add the cheese mixture and the stewed tomatoes.
- Mix well until macaroni is well coated.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish or 3 quart casserole and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 45, or until golden brown.