Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple dish from Once a Month Cooking. You can cook this straight from the freezer for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups ham, cubed
- 1 ziploc bag, jumbo
White Sauce (use 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- White sauce:.
- In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt and pepper; using wire whisk, stir in milk until smooth. Add butter. Stirring constantly with rubber spatula, bring to boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir dry mustard into white sauce; add 1 3/4 cups grated cheese and stir until melted (reserve 1/4 cup cheese for topping). Cook elbow macaroni for six minutes; drain. Add cheese sauce to macaroni; stir. Turn into a greased, 2-quart casserole dish; stir in ham cubes. Top with reserved grated cheese.
- To freeze:.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil; seal dish in jumbo freezer bag. Freeze.
- To prepare:.
- Place frozen casserole (covered with aluminum foil) in preheated 375ºF oven. Bake for 25 minutes; remove aluminum foil. Bake 25 minutes more, or until hot and bubbly.
Really good, I used sharp cheddar and it came out creamy and very flavorful, even DH loved it. This is simple to make and a perfect use for some of the left over ham. Thank you lazyme for a really good mac&cheese.
Pure comfort food! Made exactly as written, except I baked it right away (for 25 minutes) and skipped the freezing. Turned out very creamy and tasty!
i used this recipe as a basic guide. i added dry mustard and cayenne and used a flour/butter rouxe. turned out delicious.