- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces shredded colby cheese
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in half inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: on the shredded cheeses - each 8 ounces of shredded cheese is equal to 2 cups. So you will have 2 cups EACH of sharp cheddar, monterey jack, and colby - 6 cups total.
- Set aside 1/2 to 1 cup of the sharp cheddar cheese - you will use this to top the macaroni and cheese. If you like a lot of cheese on top, set aside a cup. If you just want a sprinkle of cheese on top, set aside half a cup.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Cook the macaroni to the "al dente" stage, according to the package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk and the evaporated milk. Add the dried mustard, hot sauce, and salt and mix well.
- Add the cooked, drained macaroni to the milk mixture. Add the melted butter and the sour cream and mix well.
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar, monterey jack, colby, and the velveeta to the macaroni and mix well, stirring for a minute or two to make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into a greased 9 inch by 13 inch casserole dish, and top with the reserved shredded sharp cheddar.
- Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.