Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I suggested using a glass dish because you can see how brown the casserole is getting (and brown is a good thing). My family loves the crispy sides and topping.
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta, cook per directions
- 1 (16 ounce) box Velveeta cheese, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 cup butter (divided 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Ritz cracker
- butter (to be mixed with the Ritz crackers)
- Mix together the flour, 1/4 cup butter and the milk.
- Add cheese chunks and allow to melt (continually stirring and watching so cheese does not burn).
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Combine the ziti and cheese sauce.
- Put into casserole dish (I use glass) which has been well buttered with the remaining 1/4 stick of butter (use it all).
- Mix Ritz with enough butter to moisten the crackers (amount is entirely up to you, but make enough to cover the casserole completely) The more the better.
- Bake@ 350 degrees for approximately1 hour.
- Serve immediately.
I make this often, and come back to get the recipe every holiday.
Absolutely PERFECT mac & cheese! Finally - not dry - not runny - PERFECT! Everyone gobbled it and wants it doubled next time! Thanks!