Baked Macaroni and Cheddar
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring water to a boil; cook macaroni to al dente stage according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper and paprika and remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spread half the macaroni over the bottom of a lightly greased 1 quart baking dish.
- Spread half the remaining cheese over the macaroni.
- Top with remaining macaroni.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Well Hot Diggety!!! After years of searching for macaroni and cheese like I really love it, I've FINALLY gotten the right recipe! This is great! Perfect texture, and I think that's always a lot of my issue. I like the cheese kind of crunchy on top. I'm a 105 lb. woman, and I doubled this recipe for myself in case it turned out to be what I was looking for. I've already eaten a quarter of it! I doubled all ingredients. Only difference I made in recipe was to add about a teaspoon of dried mustard. Not sure whether that made a significant difference or not, but this is definitely the recipe I've been looking for.
Made as given, although I did double the recipe, then made it in two separate baking dishes, one for the 2 of us here at home, & the other for a housebound neighbor couple I often bake/cook for, & who LOVE mac & cheese! This was a winner all around, & I'll be making it again for us, I know! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the Best of 2011 recipe tagging event]
This is a nice basic mac and cheese recipe that yields creamy and tasty results! YUM! Loved the cheddar in this and the paprika, but felt that it needed a bit more oomph, so I added some garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Also I needed about 2 cups of macaroni to mop up the sauce, but other than that this dish was perfect. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your recipe here, Choco! :)<br/>Made and reviewed for I Recommend Tag Game November 2011.