This is a great kid-pleasing meal. You can make it ahead and refrigerate it until you are ready to pop it into the oven. I actually came up with this one day when I realized I had to make a pack of smokies or throw them out (But alas, no other ingredients on hand). So I just took my mom-taught homemade mac and cheese recipe and added smokies.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook Macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Saute lil' smokies in pan until warm.
- Grate cheese while the above is cooking.
- Grease a baking dish (the deeper the dish the more layers you can make).
- Layers: Noodles (enough to just cover bottom of dish). Smokies (divide the by the # of layers to get them equally distributed). Cheese (cover noodles and smokies to your taste: Just make sure to reserve enough for the other layers).
- Butter (dot this on).
- Then begin over with the layers until all is used up (finishing with the butter).
- Finally pour the milk over top (Important: the milk is an estimate; I never measure, just pour until it feels right but this should be about right. Just adjust according to your taste on subsequent makings).
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake another 15-20 minutes.