Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great kid-pleasing meal. You can make it ahead and refrigerate it until you are ready to pop it into the oven. I actually came up with this one day when I realized I had to make a pack of smokies or throw them out (But alas, no other ingredients on hand). So I just took my mom-taught homemade mac and cheese recipe and added smokies.
- 1 (16 ounce) box macaroni noodles (cooked)
- 1 (14 ounce) package Little Smokies sausages
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb cheese (more if desired ( fresh grated is best, but not necessity)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook Macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Saute lil' smokies in pan until warm.
- Grate cheese while the above is cooking.
- Grease a baking dish (the deeper the dish the more layers you can make).
- Layers: Noodles (enough to just cover bottom of dish). Smokies (divide the by the # of layers to get them equally distributed). Cheese (cover noodles and smokies to your taste: Just make sure to reserve enough for the other layers).
- Butter (dot this on).
- Then begin over with the layers until all is used up (finishing with the butter).
- Finally pour the milk over top (Important: the milk is an estimate; I never measure, just pour until it feels right but this should be about right. Just adjust according to your taste on subsequent makings).
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake another 15-20 minutes.
Why not promote how well it cooked in the Deep Covered Baker?
What a wonderful fast easy meal!!! I had everything on had and we had our meal in no time. Nothing to change at all. Thank You for sharing.
The only change I made was the pasta. I was out of macaroni so used Rigatoni. My family loved the flavor the little smokies gave the macaroni and cheese. I did use a cup of milk as the pasta was thicker and bigger than regular macaroni. I will be making this again - both with and without the little sausages. I used colby jack cheese and didn't have any problems at all. Thanks for a great recipe!