Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
My toaster oven has a fan in it and I love to use it to brown foods. I came up with this tofu recipe yesterday and I was delighted with the results. I served this with pasta and Marinara sauce.
Top Review by maryemerald
I used one package of firm tofu packed in water which I cut in half and then into thirds because I wanted thinner slices. Then I used fresh bread crumbs mixed with Italian seasonings and salt. I sprayed a glass baking dish with Pam and then sprayed the tops of each piece with Pam. I baked at 350 degrees in a regular oven for 30 minutes and then broiled on low until the tops were well browned. They were super crispy! I served it with a fresh tomato sauce and pasta. Excellent!!
- 2 (14 ounce) packages firm tofu
- 1 large organic egg
- 2 -3 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the toaster oven to 350'F
- Line your toaster oven pan with tin foil and spray generously with coconut oil. I use coconut because it doesn't go rancid like other oils when they are heated.
- Open the tofu packages and drain.
- Break the egg in a shallow dish and beat it until combined.
- Put the bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Cut each of the tofu blocks in half the long way. This will give you 4 blocks total. If you like it thinner cut them into 3 so you have 6 pieces.
- Dip in the egg, then the bread crumbs. Salt and pepper the tops.
- Place on the prepared pan and spray each piece with oil generously.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check them periodically to make sure they aren't burning.
- Serve with your favourite spaghetti sauce and pasta. You can even make them into a sandwich with toppings. This is very versatile.
- Bon Appetit!