These are really tasty and I love that they are baked in the oven rather than pan-fried. I found this recipe in Cooking light originally and have made them several times with great success. They freeze well after cooking - I just thaw them and add them to simmering sauce for a great spaghetti dinner on busy nights.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (a must - dried will not do in this)
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon low sodium salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced,more to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray a broiler pan with broiling rack well with nonstick spray (I line the bottom part with foil and then spray).
- Combine all ingredients well.
- Form into 30 meatballs using a 1 1/2" diameter scoop (or use your hands).
- Set on sprayed broiler rack in prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Add these meatballs to your favorite sauce and serve over pasta or in a hoagie roll with sauce& cheese to make a great sandwich.
I love this recipe!!!!!!! Oh, BTW the mustards purpose is to help keep meat moist, so USE the mustard!!! Ya cant taste it at all.
An easy 5 stars. I used ground turkey and was great. I like the kick of the red pepper flakes.
What can I say!! Really good sounds so lame. I tried CLs Meatballs with Spaghetti last night and this afternoon DH wanted me to make some more as my DB was coming over for lunch. So I made and served your variation with my concoction of Okra and red chilli vegetable and wholewheat flat Indian bread (chapatis) They were what my son called killer balls. He loved the cheese in them. I used fresh mint instead of parsley (were not available), cheddar instead of parmesan and tripled the garlic ;) There were 4 (3 1/2 actually) sated faces at my dinner table today. And no leftovers. You can imagine how we gorged!!! Thanks :) Fay