Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
This cake is RICH! Just like fudge, you can only eat a little at a time. This cake is very unique because of the flavor, texture, and how EASY it is to prepare. The finished cake is firm and fudgy about 1/3 of the way to the center, and softly set like a mousse in the center. Very impressive!
- 1 lb fine quality semisweet chocolate
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso or 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan; line bottom with round cut-out of waxed paper and butter the paper.
- In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring until chocolate is about half melted.
- Remove pan from heat, and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, begin beating eggs at medium-low speed until frothy, then raise speed to high and beat eggs until they are light in color, thick, fluffy, and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in flour and espresso powder.
- Stir about 1/4 of egg mixture into chocolate to lighten it, then fold the chocolate mixture into the eggs in mixing bowl.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 17 minutes.
- Cool the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then refrigerate until firm enough to cut, about 30 minutes.
- (The dessert can also be refrigerated for up to 5 days, or frozen for 1 month; bring to room temperature before serving).
- Shortly before serving, whip the cream to firm peaks.
- Cut the cake and garnish with whipped cream.
This was delicious! I've made it three times now and everyone loves it. What a great dessert treat for all the chocolate lover's out there.