Here is a complete and healthy meal, using typical ingredients from Northern Spain. The large amount of onion in combination with saffron and paprika is key. Enjoy this healthy meal with a green salad and call it complete!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs fish fillets, such as striped bass, turbot, grouper, skin on
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 2 cups vidalia onions, finely chopped (or other sweet onion)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika, divided (preferably Spanish smoked)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle the fish fillets with salt and arrange in a flat-bottomed bowl or pie plate.
- Pour on the lemon juice and let it sit.
- In a shallow, ovenproof casserole, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the potatoes in layers and sprinkle each layer with salt.
- Turn the potatoes to coat with the oil and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, 1/8 teaspoon of the saffron, and 1/4 teaspoon of the paprika and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the potatoes are almost tender, 15-20 minutes, lifting and turning the potato mixture occoasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the fish and arrange over the potatoes.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the fish and sprinkle with salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon saffron and 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the fish is just cooked through.
- Serve right from the casserole dish or transfer to dinner plates and arrange the potato mixture around and over the fish.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.