Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Chow Vegan - http://chowvegan.com/2009/01/06/baked-falafel/
Make and share this Baked Falafel recipe from Food.com.
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Put in a medium sized bowl and smash with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Form into small balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and slightly flatten. Place onto an oiled baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes on each side, until nicely browned (since it's baked, only the part actually touching the pan will be browned and crispy).
- Serving suggestion: Stuff in mini pita pockets with hummus, tahini sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and/or cucumber.
I forgot to add the olive oil - oops! - but these still turned out pretty tasty. And like the other reviewers, I upped the oven temp. We found that baking them at 400 for about 18-20 minutes helped the little guys brown a little more.
Excellent! I really liked the flavor of the finished falafel. I modified the recipe slightly based on what I had on hand: cumin seeds for ground cumin (and a little extra since there is no such thing as too much cumin!); 4 tbsp cilantro (in lieu of the 3 tbsp parsley + 1 tbsp cilantro--cilantro is delicious-er); and a little more lemon juice to bring the dough together. I got about 15 patties when I made them. I baked at 450 degrees and they came out slightly browned and delicious. Thank you so much!!
I decided to cook the onion before adding it to the mixture. Next time I would up the spices a bit.