Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
As simple and delicious as it gets! Use the stuffing as listed below, use the stuffing of your choice, or cook the fish without it altogether. If you prefer, two thick slices of salmon may be cooked in this same manner. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 lbs whole salmon, cleaned and scaled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (soft)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- For the stuffing: Pour milk over bread crumbs.
- Melt butter; add onions and brown.
- Pour into bread crumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking dish.
- For the fish: rub the fish inside and out with salt; brush the outside of the fish with oil and place in baking dish.
- Fill fish with stuffing; close opening and bake approximately 15 minutes per pound.
Good stuff! We usually peel back the skin before eating so didn't bother to scale the fish. Really liked the sage in the stuffing.