Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Another comfort food from my childhood. NOTE: Mom always used bone in chicken legs with skin on, that's all they had back in the 70's! Now I use boneless/skinless chicken breasts and thighs. Since bones add weight, 3 pounds of boneless chicken should be about right.
- 5 -6 lbs chicken legs
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 lb corkscrew macaroni, cooked and drained
- Arrange chicken pieces in 9x13 pan, skin side up.
- Cut bacon in 2" lengths and lay over chicken.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Carefully, pour off some grease.
- Blend soups and sour cream; pour over chicken and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to serving dish.
- Mix cooked pasta with sauce mixture from baking pan and serve.
Yes, the family did like this very much. They said it was the added bacon on top. I have made this type of dish b/f using soups as gravies and also pork instead of chicken. It is very good and easy. I like the added bacon for taste. Thanks for this idea Kel. Tagged for ZaarStars.~
DH loved this. I will be making this dish again.
Totally awesome! The bacon flavor permeated through all the pieces of chicken and the sauce. I will be making this over and over again. I used 3 hindquarters and 3 breasts to equal 5-6 pounds of chicken when I made mine. After this had baked for 45 minutes I poured the grease off by placing a cooling rack over the meat and pan then tipped it up to the side so the grease ran off. It worked really great, the chicken and bacon stayed in place in the baking dish! The amount of sauce was just fine, I did add 1/3 cup of milk when I mixed it together. I will remove the skin next time I make this and the bone-in is fine by me. This would be an excellent dish to serve your dinner guest but I would use skinless boneless chicken breast for them. I'm making this one for our next church potluck dinner. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, KelBel. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders 2006