Recipe by *Pixie*
Baked cauliflower in a creamy cheese sauce that doesn't use cream-of-X soup. Note: I have made this with skim milk and lowfat cheese and it works, but you have to cook the sauce longer to get it to thicken.
- 1 head cauliflower (large)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 -2 cup cheese, grated (I like cheddar or marble)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces and steam until just tender.
- While it is steaming, melt the butter and add the red pepper flakes and garlic powder (if using).
- Add the flour and mix until smooth and thickened.
- Mix in the milk a bit at a time stirring each time until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over a medium heat until thick and creamy (this takes awhile).
- Add 1 cup cheese cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove sauce from heat and salt and pepper the sauce to taste.
- Spread the cauliflower in a 9 x 13 pan (or casserole dish).
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the cauliflower and then sprinkle with 1 cup cheese (if desired).
- Bake at 350 F until cheese is melted.