A twist on cheese sauce for cauliflower. Nice tangy taste of feta and richness of eggs. NOTE: I re-wrote the instructions more clearly. There is NO hot sauce in this, as mentioned by one reviewer. It called for whisking 1/2 cup OF THE HOT CHEESE sauce, NOT 1/2 cup hot sauce. :)
- Ready In:
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Wash and separate cauliflower into florets and cook in a large saucepan in boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and arrange in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; add flour and stir over high heat until browned slightly. Add milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add cheese; cook until cheese is melted.
- Slightly beat eggs in small bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot cheese sauce into eggs, to temper.
- Whisk egg mixture gradually into the remaining cheese sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over cauliflower and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Great dish. To save on fat grams, I added a couple of dashes of EVOO instead of the butter as well as using 1/2 cup of egg substitute. I also took the suggestion of a previous reviewer and added some dried dill. The only thing that didn't work for me is that I thought that the feta taste was a bit too subtle. I like the strong "briny" flavor of feta and the flavor seemed a bit lost in the sauce. But that is a minor point. Perhaps cutting back on the milk and increasing the amount of feta in the sauce would be a better fit for me. Looking forward to trying this again. Thanks for posting!