Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
We love brisket at our house, so I have collected many different brisket recipes over the years, here's one I'm quite sure you will enjoy, it's simple and has a tasty gravy. You can use more tomato sauce if desired
- 5 lbs beef brisket
- salt and pepper
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a casserole dish (large enough to hold the brisket).
- Sprinkle the celery ribs and one sliced onion in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Lay the brisket (fat side up) in a roasting pan over the onions.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining sliced onion and the chopped garlic (if using) over the top of brisket.
- Stir together the tomato paste, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce; pour over the brisket.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cover tightly with foil; bake for 2 more hours.
- Add coffee, cover and bake for another 2 hours more, checking every 30 minutes for dryness.
- Add 1/4 cup water if necessery.
- Remove the brisket from the pan; let stand for 20 minutes.
- Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices, using a sharp knife.
- Strain the pan drippings, and serve with the brisket.
I was just going to add this recipe! It is from Southern Living Magazine, Nov. 2000. Thanks for posting Kittencal!
Yum! This was so good. The meat was tender and moist, the sauce nice and savory. The whole family loved it. We have plenty of leftovers and I am thinking of turning some of the meat and the rest of the sauce into vegetable beef soup so we can keep enjoying it.