Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A traditional southern breakfast served often before or after an early morning hunt. Serve with baked grits, coffee, and juice.
- 16 slices bread
- sharp grated cheese
- 8 slices tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb diced bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 6 tablespoons green peppers
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard
- Trim and butter bread.
- Arrange eight slices buttered side down in 9X13X2 pan.
- Cover with sharp grated cheese.
- Brown bacon, onion, celery, green pepper, salt and pepper together and pour on top of cheese.
- Arrange tomato slices on top of bacon mixture.
- Cover with remaining 8 slices bread.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and mustard and pour over bread.
- Top with more grated cheese.
- Let stand overnight.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
This is a great recipe. It is a wonderful meal any time of the day.
Very good and easy. Will make again as I am always looking for different breakfast/brunch dishes.
I wasn't crazy about this one...I may have done something wrong...Mine turned out brown, but the taste just wasn't there. Sorry, don't think I will make again.