Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 6 large baking apples (Rome Beauties, Pippins, or Golden Delicious)
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml cut up dried calimyrna figs or 118.29 ml black mission fig
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped walnuts
- 59.16 ml cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 59.14 ml packed light brown sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 236.59 ml chilled heavy cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Core apples; using a vegetable peeler, remove a 1-inch wide strip around the top of each apple; place the apples in the prepared baking dish.
- Lightly brush a food processor bowl and blade with the vegetable oil and finely chop the figs and walnuts.
- Add in the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon; process until blended; transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
- Stuff the cored apples tightly with the fig mixture, mounding any extra on top of the apples.
- Bake the apples, basting them occasionally, with any juices that form, until tender when pierced with a metal or wooden skewer, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve warm, either plain or with heavy cream.