Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are my favorite version of this popular appetizer. The addition of pineapple adds a nice sweetness. These appetizers are always the first to go whenever I serve them. I've had good look pre-baking them and serving them warm in a crock-pot or just reheating in the microwave if you want to make them ahead of time.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings
- 2 (8 ounce) canswhole water chestnuts
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown)
- Cut the bacon in half.
- Cut pineapple rings into chunks about the size of a waterchestnut.
- Take a half slice of bacon and wrap around one waterchestnut and one pineapple chunk. Secure with toothpick. Place in 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Repeat until all the bacon is gone.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hours Optional: stir once to distribute the rendered bacon fat which will help the bacon crisp up.
- Add the sauce and return to the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes or until sauce begins to carmelize and thicken.
Made just half a recipe this first time around (& there will be other times I'll be preparing this, for sure1), for more of a test run than anything else, & for some feedback, I shared 'em with several neighbors! Absolutely loved the flavor of these little tasties, & the next time I host one of my monthly get-togethers, they will definitely be on the finger food counter! A great keeper of a recipe, for sure! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]