Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Start these a day ahead to really get a burst of flavor! I'm pretty sure that this was a Southern Living recipe. Doesn't matter where it came from - these are awesome!
- 2 large sweet onions, cut in wedges
- 8 slices hickory smoked bacon, thick, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- COMBINE sugar, vinegar, and molasses in a zip-lock bag. Squish bag to combine ingredients.
- WRAP onion wedges with bacon; secure with long wooden picks. Place in zip-lock bag.
- PUT in refrigerator overnight. Turn bag over a couple of times.
- REMOVE onion wedges from marinade; reserve marinade.
- BAKE in a 350 degree oven until bacon starts to crisp, about 15 minutes.
- GRILL to finish cooking onion and bacon. Basting with reserved marinade.
- Don't cook too long, the onion should still be crisp-tender.
- OR if you don't want to grill the onions, let them finish in the oven. Basting occasionally.
- PREP TIME reflects the overnight in the fridge.
EASY FOR ALL- GREAT WITH BURGERS OR BBQ. We tried this recipe for mothers day, i forgot the marinade, but Everyone LOVED them. the next weekend i prepared the recipe again, making sure to use the marinade, GREAT.... Awesome summertime grilling recipe. MY FAMILY & FRIENDS are gonna go crazy for this recipe.